Designing a Custom Shirt
Custom shirts are a great way to have fun, bring in some cash, or for other purposes. Maybe you have come up with a killer design and do not know where to go with it next. The following will give you an overview of the process and a little guidance towards crafting your own custom piece.
Where Do You Begin?
Create something that represents you, because when you wear it that is exactly what it will do. Figure out what you want people to feel and think when they see it. For example, if you plan to use it as an advertising piece, then you may want custom logo shirts where your logo is the focal point. If you are making family reunion shirts, you may want something personal that helps represent your family.
The Printing Process
Once you get your design the way you want it, you can figure out which t-shirt printing technique you are interested in.
• Least expensive and most common option
• Has many embellishment options such as puff textures, glitter, or special inks
• Great for solid colors and graphic designs
• Has a stenciled look
• Will show up well if you choose a dark colored shirt
• May have to buy a minimum number due to the setup costs for the printer
• Perfect option for full-color graphics and graphics with gradients
• Picture quality finish
• High amount of detail
• Best on lighter colored shirts
• Usually does not require a large number to be ordered since there is no setup needed by the printer
• Stitched with different colored threads to make up the design
• Nice professional look for business shirts
• Best on heavier fabrics
Finding a Custom Shirt Printing Service
One of the best ways to get your custom shirt design printed is to find local shops. With a local shop, you can go in to discuss what you are looking for, look through their t-shirt color options, and find out about what printing processes they offer. You can also see some of their work samples to get an idea of the quality of their work and the durability of the shirts they will use to print on. It is also nice to get personal service when dealing with a custom job.